Window Replacement Companies
Use HandyCanadian.com to find trusted and professional window companies. Post your home window project or search our directory to read reviews and get free cost estimates from top-rated home window installation companies waiting to compete for your business.
Find Top-Rated Local Window Replacement Contractors
Window Replacement Tips and Contractor Suggestions
A window is a very important element in a home. A window creates character, supports the design of the room, supplies you with a gate way to your back yard, or it fills your home with the warm summer breeze. A window should never become more of a chore than the occasional glass cleaning. Outdated windows can mean serious damage on your home, and your wallet. Consider these things:
- Most indoor paints won't hold up long against a leaky window, which means that the moisture from harsh elements will affect the wood dramatically. Wood that has been wet constantly is very vulnerable to mold, rot and many other issues. Therefore, a tight seal around your windows is very important to keep all of the water out.
- If there are any air leaks between sashes and window jams or the opening of the house, you are probably paying way more for your heating bill than you need to. Heat seeps through any gaps that leads to the outside and creates a draft in the room. By having a properly installed window, you can save more on your energy bills and create a warm, comfortable atmosphere in the room.
- Safety and security also becomes a concern when it comes to improperly fit frames with any size window. Potential burglars will not have a hard time sliding open a rickety window to enter your home. Windows need to be fitted securely in place with a fully functional lock.
- Windows come in many designs and materials. Vinyl and wood frames, style designs and shapes are constantly changing. For ideas check out Better Homes and Gardens if you would like to replace your current windows with something that makes a personal statement.
Using a Contractor to Beautify Your Home
For the person who doesn't fancy the job of installing their own windows a window contractor can make the job go so much quicker and easier. Choosing the right contractor is something that you want to spend a little time and thought with, we're going to give you some tips of what to watch out for, but you can also find an insider's view through this video provided by AllTexExteriors.
HandyCanadian can provide you with the names and references of many window installers. Reviews on this site are reliable as they have been posted and verified as coming from friends and neighbors in your own area who have already used window professionals.
Besides getting several bids, there are things you should always watch for when interacting with window contractors:
- Numbers on a piece of paper always look good, but you need to check behind the numbers. Always make sure that your contractor can supply you with a copy of his liability coverage. This protects you against any repercussions from accidents or injury around your property. In addition, be aware that all contractors are required to have Workers Safety Insurance Board (WSIB) coverage. This is new mandatory coverage but homeowners must take the additional step to make sure coverage is verified and in force. Any contractor caught without this coverage can mean a work stoppage and liability on your property. For more information go to the WSIB website directly.
- If a bid seems unusually low it could be that the window contractor is not a licensed professional. All have expenses; all supply windows which incur certain costs. Extremely low bids should be warning signs and need further investigation.
- A final tip on finishing your project: Making sure that your contractor has paid your window supplier is vitally important. If they have not the supplier can place a lien on your home. Before final payment to your contractor be sure to get copies of material bills marked “paid in full”.
today for your FREE membership and post your home window replacement project on HandyCanadian.com and receive
bids from local contractors competing for
To view what other homeowners have said about HandyCanadian.com, click here.
Are you a quality service professional offering window
Request a Quote
- Free Service
- Rapid Response From Local Contractors
- Unlimited Postings
- Save Time & Money
- No Obligation To Hire
Describe Your Project >
Contractor Hiring Tips and Forms
Find out how to select the right contractor, what to avoid, getting quotes, the contract, payment arrangement, and much more.
Contractor Hiring Tips >